Monday, May 23, 2022

William Buster Key 1944 July 6 to 2022 May 22

It was so hard to say goodbye for the last time yesterday to one you love especially when they have always shown you love, compassion, and freely accepted you as his one of his children. I am talking about William Key, my mother’s beloved husband of 20 years before she passed on December 30, 2014. Such devotion shared between them became a legendary experience to see in our family. He was a man of faith, a God loving man, read his Bible, and shared in the discussions during our nightly Bible study time we had with my mother who was his wife. 

My Uncle Elwin Buck was instrumental in their “courtship”. He was the director of the Single Adults in our church and also William’s barber so on one of those visits he inquired about the friendly pretty auburn haired woman in his Sunday School class. He explained that Margaret was his sister and William asked for her phone number.  My uncle approved and gave him the number. As is a common phrase “The rest is history.” and what a history they began to share.

Notice that I did not say step-dad since to me he was “pops” or William. Life is full of choices and with his wedding ring came four adult children that he freely chose to love just as my mother chose to love the three adult children that came with her wedding ring. We became officially seven siblings on June 25, 1994 and for me that remains the same.  He brought joy to our life with each warm, engaging smile and that special twinkle in his eye would always cause a smile from others. It felt like an invitation to share in a conversation. He had an easy laugh and could blush like no man I knew which was quite endearing.

William loved us and included us in his life and always introduced me as his daughter which felt just like a fatherly hug. His life was full of love, laughter, children, grandchildren, etc., plus shared vacations, meals shared, weddings, even baby showers, plus he and mom attended every Federation gala with me, fire department functions with Rebecca, and just about every invitation received he and mom attended together. When it came to food he loved, loved pork chops. At the top of the list with pork chops was John Wayne.  He even has a large as life poster of him in their bedroom. My mom questioned it when they married and then again when they bought their last home together. His response was always the same “Margaret, John Wayne stays.” and she always said okay. I laughed each time the subject of John Wayne arose. He received lots of John Wayne memorabilia since then and he was always thrilled. Then again William was always easy to please and he appreciated everything and everyone in his life.

Such was the man I loved and greatly respected as an active part of my life. We will visit plus share stories about him during the visitation this Friday May 27th from 5pm to 8pm and his funeral is Saturday May 28th’ at 10am, both at the Rosewood Funeral Home, 22271 Hwy 59 North, Porter, TX 77365. 

I have the assurance of knowing that I will see him later. Memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment