Friday, May 13, 2022

Ruby Zane Rivers Buck 1933 August 31 to 2022 May 10

A precious jewel in our family has left this earth for her heavenly reward.  She was indeed a jewel and she was aptly named. When checking for the many definitions tied to the name Ruby here are just a few descriptive words from those definitions: most popular and very durable, most valuable, glows with intensity.  These are spot on for my beloved Aunt Ruby.

 When I was nine years old she was my Sunday School teacher.   I remember a verse that she quoted in our class one Sunday:

Proverbs 17:22 A merry heart doing good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

She said that laughter was like a medicine and it chased away sadness. I've recalled that for so many years and found it to be true throughout my life. I'm 72 now and easily hear her voice and see her face from that Sunday. I remember telling my mother that when Miss Rivers smiled and laughed it shown in her eyes. As a nine year old I actually said that it came out of her eyes.   She was always the same and her eyes really did smile.

 I remember when she married my Uncle Elwin Buck.  He was my everything as an uncle and mentor.  I was devastated and refused to go the wedding and cried for hours.  I understood nothing about marriage and believed that I was losing both of them in my life forever. I just could not explain my feelings of loss to my parents and they were at a loss as how to comfort me.  She was my favorite Sunday School teacher too and I honestly thought that I wouldn't be seeing them again.  I was definitely upset and hurting that night. They married on my tenth birthday in 1959.  Imagine my surprise when they showed up at our home after church a few Sunday nights later and with Shipley's doughnuts. The joy I felt at that moment was unexplainable and it was not for the doughnuts. I am still smiling at that memory.

She was a gift to all who had the pleasure to know her or even meet her. She seemed to radiate love and shared the gospel of Jesus Christ to everyone whether she knew you personally or not. I remember sharing with her my prayer for each of my sons to have a Christian wife.  She made a suggestion and I amended my prayer that day that each marries a practicing Christian woman with a servant’s heart.

 Aunt Ruby was also a prayer warrior, true woman of faith, loved her Bible and often shared its contents.  My siblings and cousins used to say and absolutely believed that she and Uncle Elwin had a direct hot line to heaven and God's ear.

 Aunt Ruby had a Godly wisdom that she freely shared for which I am so thankful. When my precious and dearly beloved Aunt Ruby passed from this life, she awoke in the arms of Christ, her risen Lord and Savior.  Her legacy lives on in each of her children and grandchildren plus her numerous nieces and nephews as well. What a blessing she was and her children were blessed to have her one last Mother’s Day.

Thankfully I have the comfort of knowing that I will see her later. Right now she is laughing and celebrating with the many who greeted her at heaven’s gate. I can see her smiling eyes. 

Memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment