Saturday, July 27, 2024

When We Had Wings by Ariel Lawhorn, Kristina McMorris, Susan Meissner

Oh my stars, this is a great book.  I am still so attached to the characters, their respective experiences during WW2 as nurses in the Philippines, held as prisoners of war in multiple camps, their survival, and beyond the war. Additionally, they were required by our US government to sign legal agreements NOT to share their experiences in the public eye or in print. The public media was orchestrated and controlled.

These nurses, many deceased, had information that was shared 50 years after the war plus research by   these authors that allowed for a brilliantly written story to be created around these facts.  Several people in the book were used in their original context from that period of history and quotes were included in this work of fiction. The three main nurses were based on real nurses as were other characters; Army nurse, Navy nurse, and Filipina nurse.  

I generally go from a finished book immediately to another book. I just cannot do that at this point in time.  I need to continue to process and dwell on what was written in this book. Yes, it really touched my heart and emotionally. Yes, I also cried.\ 

If you even remotely enjoy historical fiction, add this to your list or better yet move it to the top of your list and read it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment